Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Money

Every night before I lay down I kiss every nickel and dime in the house. I tell them I love them and that they are my world. The larger bills I tuck in like children. I tell them stories about when I found them. About the structures I built to maintain them. I know this seems odd, but this is how I became the man I am today.
You see, not too long ago I was a junkie. I was nearing the edge like so many before me. A moment away from the great and wretched here after. Standing on that bridge right there I nearly jumped. I had sold my last pair of shoes. Thrown my books into the ocean. Tore the pictures of my youth to pieces. What saved me you ask. This right here. This beautiful bronze colored diamond golden thing. This penny. Minted in the year 2002 of our lord. Tenderly poured from the line and distributed to the masses. This beautiful thing reached out to me from a sand dune. It winked in the high noon sun. You see, before I jumped I saw the brilliant bright flash of a distant future. A future of high stacks of green colors. I thank God for money. I trust God. I trust each slip of paper the teller hands me.

No comments:

Post a Comment